Saturday, April 21, 2012

More Die-Cut Class Homework

I've been playing with some of the ideas we learned in my latest online class: A Cut Above. We're still learning different ways to use dies, so I thought I'd share a few of my projects with you.

First up, we have another variation on a window card:

The hearts were punched (not die cut - yes, I cheated) with my SU Heart to Heart punch. I punched them again out of a Post-It note and lined that up on the card front to act as a mask. I stamped over the heart openings with two of the background stamps from the MFT Notched Tags set, inked in Versamark, then heat-embossed them with white embossing powder. I then, with the mask still in place, ran my Pool Party ink pad over the embossed area to color it in.

Here it is, up close so you can maybe see what I'm rambling about:

And here's a close-up of the tag, just because I think it's stinkin' cute:

We also had a lesson on shaped cards, and even though I intensely dislike this next one, I'll show it to you anyway:

 Here are the three hearts with punched-out pieces on the inside of the card:

I think I like the embossed ones better, even if they were a lot more work.

Because I don't know when to quit. I also die-cut another heart at the top, mostly because I wanted to tie a piece of twine through it for a horizontal element:

Yeah, this whole card is a little much.

But wait, there's more!  We also had a lesson on how to die-cut so your shapes stick beyond the edge of your card. I made this:

The butterflies were partially die-cut out of the base card. It's a very cool technique, and I'm glad I tried it, but I think in the future I'll just add a layer to the front with the die-cut shapes hanging over the edge. Oh, the stamps and dies are from a Sizzix/Hero Arts set, and I colored them with Copics. The green butterflies were cut from a patterned paper remnant using my SU Beautiful Wings Embosslit Die, and the sentiment is from a Hero Arts set.

I think I'll go work on some more homework from today's bonus class. I'm telling you, these online classes are worth every penny, and this one is not nearly so enabling as the Tim Holtz Creative Chemistry class was. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. These cards are ALL really great, Leslie. But, I'm totally in LOVE with the last one. I know you said you'd probably never do it again, but you knocked it out of the ballpark. It's AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards, all of them stinkin cute!! I like the embossed hearts very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I wish I had signed up for this class. My favorite is the first one. Great idea to stamp behind the hearts, and that tag is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those cards. I kinda wish I'd signed up too, but when to do my homework? GAH?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them both Leslie. That butterfly card is striking and the baby one is darling. Love all the details you put into it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)