But today's post is a serious one. Back in November I posted about how everyone should register to be a Bone Marrow Donor. My friend's husband is now in his third round of very intensive Chemo in an attempt to force his cancer into remission so he can have a bone marrow transplant. But first he needs to FIND A MATCH. In order to find a match, there need(s) to be people registered. The more people registered, the greater the chance of finding a match.
George (that's his name) is of Greek descent, and short of a close relative, there is a much higher chance of finding a match with people descended from others from the same part of the world. So if you or anyone you know is from that part of the world, or descended from someone that is/was, please take a few moments and follow the instructions below to register with the Bone Marrow Donor organization.
And even if you are not of Greek descent, please register anyway. You never know when someone you know, or even a complete stranger, will have another chance at life because you did.
Here is the registration information:
Go to http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/Join_Now/join_now.html
- After you click the link above, you will see “Join Now”
- Scroll down and check the boxes in Step 1 (ignore any reference to cost; you do not pay anything when you use your code)
- Enter your information
- Enter Code: George126 (<-- it is case-sensitive)
- Once the form is complete, the system will automatically send you a swab kit to your residence, with a self-addressed, returned envelope
- Urgent: As soon as you receive the swab kit in the mail, immediately swab and mail off the envelope so your results will be on the Marrow Donor Registry as soon as possible. It can take up to 6 weeks to tissue type, so the earlier you send in your kit the better.
PS: If you are already registered, please make sure your information is up to date. I registered about 15 years ago, and I know I need to update mine.
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)
PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)