Sunday, March 10, 2013

PDCC Thrice

I tried to play the Play Date Cafe challenge all day. I've tried, and I've tried, but I can't get no .. do do doh doh ... satisfaction. I started six different cards, with six totally different approaches, but nothing was working and I just had to walk away. When I went back in to see what could be salvaged, I actually finished three of the cards.

Here's the PDCC color prompt:


I really like these colors. I declared them to be SU Melon Mambo, Certainly Celery and ... some blue that escapes me at the moment. I did use those colors in one of the cards, but then I got distracted (imagine that) and went with something else for this first one:


I used Distress inks in Salty Ocean, Festive Berries and Bundled Sage. Now before you get all WHAT THE HECK on me, this is the inspiration for this card:

Source
Isn't that cool? I masked a heart in the center of my card, then embossed the HA Lattice background stamp in silver. This left the heart opening, but it was undefined, so I went around it with my Versamarker and embossed that, too.

It was pretty busy already, so I just added a sentiment over the heart, layered it on some Melon Mambo and called it done.

Next I tried this:


I added three thin strips of card stock in Melon Mambo, Certainly Celery and ... some blue (it was from my box of 1/4 sheets and not identified, sorry) to a piece of white, then embossed the whole thing with an SU embossing folder from SAB.  I opened my CAS-ual Fridays stamp set for the swooshy thing and stamped it first. Then I placed the two words where I wanted them and picked them up together with my acrylic block. That way I could stamp them together for perfect placement.

While picking up the black ink pad to ink them, I dropped the ink pad onto the bottom of the white panel. GAH! I had to get creative with the sentiment panel, so I used one of the MFT Snow Drifts dies to cut the curve just right, both top and bottom. It covers all sorts of oopses. Only one spot wasn't covered by the sentiment panel, so I opened and used my new white Faber-Castell Pitt Pen (da big one!). I was saved!!!

Okay, one more:


I used the back of one of the stamps from HA Calico Borders and stamped a plaid pattern with Salty Ocean, Festive Berries and Bundled Sage onto a scrap of white, then die-cut the heart from it. I was going to use it on an embossed panel I made for the previous card where I forgot to add the color strips first (sigh) but there was just too much going on, so it got a plain white card front.

I cut four hearts out of white and layered them under the plaid one so it's really thick. I put a simple sentiment over it and popped the whole thing up with dimensional adhesive over a piece of washi tape. I think it adds just enough green, since that color got kindof short-changed in the plaid exercise.

I think that last one is my favorite of the three. :)

Now that I've finished, the weekend is OVER! Darn you Daylight Saving Time! *shakes fist*

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used but not linked below: SU Melon Mambo, Certainly Celery and some Blue; silver embossing powder; SU embossing folder (SAB); SU Celery taffeta ribbon.




9 comments:

  1. I got really excited when I saw your first card! That one is genius! That lattice background stamp is my all time favourite so I am a sucker for any card that uses it. Your other cards were really nice too. Love that swooshie thing and the colours. You also nailed that plaid making deal on the third card. Once more perseverance paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hit the nail on the head with these! Each outstanding in their own way. I've been working all weekend on projects for the Martha Stewart rubber stamp segment that will be on HSN on March 25th. I hope to post them on my blog on the 26th. Creating is exhausting fun, isn't it? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love all your cards but the second one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all of them! I like the embossing on the first card and the layers of color. The second card just makes me happy to look at it, it's very calming somehow. I think the green washi tape on the last card perfectly accents the bit of green in the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab cards, love the lattice embossed in silver, but it was your heart card which made my heart skip a beat! It's stunning. TFS hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do that all the time too--start a million different things :) But you have some great cards here! The first one is so unique, I love the latticework and the embossing. But that heart card is definitely a great example of CAS perfection! Thanks for playing along at the Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all these cards!! You always have such original and fun techniques! That heart is beautiful! Thanks for playing at The Play Date Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. seriously, i need some of your commitment level! the plaid heart really is lovely! Thanks for joining us in the Play Date Cafe!
    -Rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG what a read! I just enjoyed it to bits! Love all three of your attempts... Love love love your final choice! So awesome! How did you do that plaid design... must learn that. Saw your card on the PDC gallery and just had to stop by. And I gotta say what a clever idea to use the inlinkz tool for your supplies list. That is something that will seriously help me in my DT work. Happy to be your newest follower :)
    Crafting Till The Crack of Dawn

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)