Tuesday, April 21, 2015

SOS #197: Texture Me

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week's theme is Texture Me, and we'd like  you to use your oldest embossing supply: folder, powder, or go another step back in time and use a texture plate, or even a brass stencil!

Here's my card, then I'll explain:

Yes, I DID look for a comma on my Dymo labeler, but it eluded me.

I think the last time we did this challenge I also used a Fiskars texture plate. Those things are ancient, and during my recent "put it away where you have a ghost's chance of finding it again" policy with my craft room, I even have the funky tool that came with the plates. This was way before embossing folders.

I have a print-out of Cuttlebug instructions for using the plumber's rubber gaskets I use with these plates, but I no longer have a Cuttlebug, so I faked it with my Big Shot. I used (from bottom to top) the Big Shot base, cutting plate, Fiskars texture plate, card stock, and thin rubber gasket. It embossed just fine, so I was happy.

For the rest of my card, I decided to play a few challenges. I combined the current ColourQ challenge:



and the current The Male Room challenge:



I pulled out my Riley guy, since I almost never use him, and my trusty Dymo labeler for the custom sentiment. I've found that the labels come un-stuck after a while, so these are popped up (hopped up) with pieces of foam tape.

The numbers are my splash of color, and they were cut from a piece of red card stock laying next to my trimmer.

Here's a closer look at that texture plate impression:



So, got old, unloved, embossing products in your stash? I think you should play along with us this week over at SOS!

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: SU Basic Black and Basic Grey card stock, rubber gasket from the hardware store, Jack from Riley & Company, and the following:



11 comments:

  1. i love this card! you may just have single-handedly brought those fiskars plates back into fashion missus! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. For many years I tried to talk my dad out of his old Dymo label maker, but alas. It was made back in the day, really heavy duty. Once he passed I just helped myself to it, but again alas. It no longer worked for shit and all those tapes he had (ALLLLLLLL those 30 odd tapes or so) had lost their stick. I did think about gluing them but it seemed like too much work (plus the Dymo didn't work) so I tossed the lot. The dates on the tapes were 1973.

    Fun card! That dude is a hoot. Anyway, now you can do a "Ain't that Nifty, Look Who's Fifty" card next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card, Leslie! Nice use of the Dymo label maker. We have one, never thought of using it, but at least you have inspired me to think about using it one of these days! :D) Love the Fiskars plate background. Sizzix has a texture plate with the same design, so you have inspired me on two levels! Thanks!
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card, great texture, I have lots of those texture plates and never been used. I also have a fiskers embossing tool, and the plates that have words and designs to dry emboss. I have no idea what it is called. Great job on the card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have fewer old and unloved items than I did a few weeks ago, but I do still have these embossing thingies. Maybe I need to drag them out and put them to work again. I love how your card turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiya Leslie,

    The card is absolutely fantastic, it has the old rustic charm to it but brought up to the 20th century for sure. The texture and colours all mesh together in a wonderful manner and I definitively support the idea of giving an old embosser some love!

    With best regards,
    Jesper K
    DYMOSupport

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab dude card! I love it! I have a few of those texture plates....somewhere....I am not sure I ever did figure out how to use them in my cuttlebug...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never figured out how to use those in the bug either, but I love how this turned out! And I keep asking hubby to borrow the label maker from work..."borrow"...but no luck yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Great picture with the saying - Thanks for joining in at TMR!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a brilliant card, love the Dymo tape too. Thank you for sharing it with us at TMR.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous! I really like the textured background, the cool image and the funky dymo sentiment. Love the splash of colour on the numbers. Thanks so much for playing along with The Male Room!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)