Tuesday, April 28, 2015

SOS #199: Opposite Day

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week's theme is Opposite Day, and we'd like you to break out of your comfort zone and do something that's opposite your normal style. Do you tend toward more of a CAS style? Why not add a frou-frou ribbon? Normally more of a pile-it-on type? Then try CAS.

In my world, I've found I'm more CAS these days, so I forced myself to play with some mixed media supplies in my collection. Here's my card, then I'll explain:


It still smells CAS, but I really did try. First I applied a layer of white Gesso to some SU water color card stock (I have no idea why I chose water color ... it was on top), then I scratched a pattern into the Gesso with my Tim Holtz scratcher thingie:


And yes, I made two, since I mess up a lot, and it makes sense to cover myself in these perilous times.

Once it dried, I broke open my black Gesso, painted it on in the opposite direction, then scratched it with the scratcher thingie, too:


Then I waited for things to dry. I might have napped.

The next day I decided the black & white needed a shot of color, so I added some Hero Arts Neon Ink with my dauber bottle.

Next up I decided it still looked amazingly CAS, so I needed to add layers. I broke out my maybe-used-once Simon Says Stamp Frames set and got to cutting. Many layers of frames ensued. I used to layer everything, but now, not so much.

I added a busy-ish sentiment that I used my MISTI to stamp multiple times to get a clean image.

Okay, it still squeaks out some CAS, but I really did try, and I played with some mixed medaia stuff that's usually ignored in my stash, so I call it a success.

Why do I now feel the need to go back and add some black paint drops to the card front? STOP. Just STOP!

So, want to stretch your wings a little? Come on over and play our Opposite Day challenge!

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: SU Basic Black card stock, SU water color paper. and the following:



10 comments:

  1. WAH!!! That background is fantastic! And the layers...I never layer anymore...and now I think I must go out and buy a Tim Holtz scratchy thingie!! Fab take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mixed media, lots of layers, waiting for drying time?! DEFINITELY above and beyond the call of crafty duty. (also... it's a fab card just on its own!!!!) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I don't know if I can handle you "dabbling" in my lane! You don't see me trying to do CAS do ya! :D) This is great, I love your background. You should do more MM it seems you have the gene!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed right off that all those layers weren't "you." So there! Plus you don't seem to be into those do a little and wait for it techniques, although bonus for that because you get nap time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blinked twice when I saw your name on this card over on the shopping your stash site. I dashed over here to see your post to find out the process you used. Now I am convinced you really did use mixed media on a card! Way to go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so hear you... even my not-CAS cards are like a CAS version of whatever I'm trying to achieve. Such a fun challenge though... and your card is great! Fun idea to use the two colours of gesso. Also, you have two colours of gesso!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect sentiment for your artsy background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WTG using mixed media (cluck cluck here) I keep saying I'm too busy to try. lol. anyway awesome card. Funny my daughter said she was surprised at mine too, wouldn't have recognized it as being me. So we did our job this week.!!! great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still smells CAS, lol! I love the scratchy, such a neat way to add texture! (and who knew they had a proper tool for that & everything?)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)