Sunday, May 4, 2014

Gingham Happy Birthday

I spent Saturday at a crop to benefit a friend's daughter's school band. I can't believe schools today have bands (or any extra-curricular activities, really), but don't fund them. I think that in order to have well-rounded kids, you need to have non-book-based activities, and it just seems wrong to me that it's now so difficult for everyone to participate. So I had NO PROBLEM going and buying a bazillion raffle tickets to try to win some of the yummy prizes, but more on that another time.

For now let's just talk about how I sat at a large table with several crafty friends and stared at card stock all day. No, really, it took me HOURS to make one card. I'll share a few of them with you over the next week and include the Lessons Learned with each one. I had LOTS of time to think and stare and chew my nails.

This card started out completely different(ly) than it ended up. Here's the card, then I'll explain:


This started out with a strip of gold chevrons where I now have the stamped black gingham. The red circles* just didn't work with the gold, even without the home-made enamel dots. The gold chevrons + peach/red were for my attempt at the Just Add Ink challenge:


See? Gold chevrons and pink. It's probably the (gah) pink that messed me up. :)  I was following this layout from Clean & Simple:


I started over with the vertical element of the sketch, and stamped the Paper Smooches gingham/checked image in black, and decided it looked a LOT better than the gold. Plus, it let me add some of my home-made enamel dots:


I've read about these, but when my bloggy pal Jackie made some of her own, I knew I needed to try it myself. Why? I don't know, because it's not like I NEED more enamel dots. I think this goes back to my story about how I belong to the confused generation - caught between parents of the Depression who saved everything and made all their own stuff, and the current disposable mentality of "just buy a new one". I want to make my own, even though I don't need them. See: confused.

ANYway, I bought some beads and made some of my own dots, and I loved the striped ones! I took them with me to the crop to see if I could use some, so I call that effort a success. :)

Jackie also has some follow-up posts on her experimenting here and here. You should check them out. I love when my pals do all the research and experimenting for the rest of us. :)

I'll share some more crop-day creations later. Right now I need to go spread out some mulch. I had 20 bags delivered yesterday (local High School football team fund-raiser ... there it is, again). The nice guys even placed the bags along the beds so I don't need to haul them myself. BONUS!

Thanks for stopping by!

*The red/pink card stock was made by rubbing Fresh Peach ink onto white card stock. It's all I had with me, and I like how it came out. :)

Products used: Home-made enamel dots made from Perler beads, SU black card stock, and the following:



3 comments:

  1. Those DIY dots are perfect for that beautiful card. At the used stamp sale yesterday, one of the vendors had a LOT of the DIY dots for sale in packages. She must have spent hours melting them. I don't think she sold many, unfortunately. Thanks for the link and I'm glad you tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun card!! Love the enamel dots!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)