Tuesday, March 5, 2013

SOS #92 - Border Punches

It's Tuesday, and time for another Shopping Our Stash challenge. This week we ask you to use a border punch on your project. Try using one you haven't opened yet, or one you just haven't used in a while.

I chose one I hadn't used in a while, and I made this:


There's a lot going on here, largely because this is the 4th or 5th incarnation of the card, and I kept pieces of earlier versions as I tried other things. It all started with the punch, of course, which is the star of our show this week. I used this Fiskars punch:


At the top of the green card stock is a single punch, and lying on top of that you can see my, er, creation. I've always wanted to try the technique where you punch down both sides of a piece of paper with a border punch and create something totally different. I even mostly lined it up correctly. What I learned* from this process is that detailed punches do not like the thickness of card stock, as I need to apply most of my body weight to get the darned thing to punch through. I also learned that my standing desk is good for my back, but at the wrong height for putting my body weight behind a punch. Ow.

Let's look at that card again so I can go into some painful details:


The original double-punched strip actually survived the massacre and lives on.  I masked the circle, then spritzed the card front with Dylusions spray ink. Once I removed the mask I stuck on the "post" and signage/sentiment. For the bottom I broke open a new embossing folder to emboss a piece of white and left it at that.

Since I'd learned much at the beginning about punching thick card stock, or even patterned paper, I got smart and took a piece of printer paper, applied some Black Soot ink to make it black, then punched out a border. I stuck all that stuff onto a black layer, tied on some twine, and at the last minute I decided to add some dashes around the circle to make it looked more finished.

I'm quite pleased I managed to get both a single- and double-punched piece on the card. :)

Okay, now it's YOUR turn. Go into your stash and pull out a border punch, use it to make something, then come back to Shopping Our Stash to link us up so we can see what you've made!

Thanks for stopping by!

* By "learned" I mean "remembered". I need to actually try punching through card stock before I remember it doesn't work very well. 

Products used but not linked below: Fiskars punch, SU Basic Black card stock, mystery patterned paper scrap (I think it's Basic Grey)




5 comments:

  1. As I was scrolling down the page on SOS, as soon as I saw the sentiment, I knew this was your card. Tis excellent. Love the double sided creation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO MUCH to love here: the double punching, the single puunching, the fact that there is both double & single punching (!!!) the misted top, the textured bottom, the faux stitching... and OF COURSE that awesome sentiment, which would be HILARIOUS... if it wasn't just actually true for a big part of the population, many of whom are in positions of great responsibility. ack. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't use border punches much anymore, do we? At least I don't. I like what you did with this one - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is mostly how I 'learn' crafty things too, lol - by doing them again & remembering halfway through that I'm blankety-blanking it up. For all that, this turned out fabulous & is lovely to look at. How is your back now?? I love the vibrant green of that Dylusions spray - and naturally, that awesome sentiment.
    (BTW, green? You should link up at Scrapbooker's Paradise this week!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My!! Your post made me laugh since it reminded me of me! ;) Your card is amazing and you are very creative and resourceful. I would have simply killed myself punching some black card stock rather than inking computer paper. You are an inspiration!! Super card....the sentiment reminds me of many men I know ;)
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)