My bloggy pal Lauren, and her pal Stef, have started a weekly Christmas card challenge blog over at Jingle Belles Rock. They have issued the first challenge: "something old, something new", so I thought I'd play along, if only for a week or two. :)
Let's see, something old and something new. THAT I have in abundance. Here's what I made last night:
- retired Hunter (or is it Forest) green card stock
- sentiment by A Muse*
- red twine (I've had this in the back of my ribbons drawer forEVer)
- Basic Grey basics vanilla 6x6 paper pad
- deer paper (bought yesterday in a weak moment)
- HA deer stamp (bought yesterday in same aforementioned weak moment)
I wanted to stamp the deer on something not plain, thus the Basic Grey paper. I actually went in search of a BG patterned Christmas-y paper, but after about 10 minutes, I gave up and went for something non-seasonal. I thought the poor deer (ha!) was missing something, so - remembering back to a Stamp Camp past, where someone accidentally decapitated a deer whilst cutting it out and we saved it with a bit of red twine for a scarf to hide the wound** - I rummaged in the way-back of my ribbons drawer and retrieved the red twine to (gasp) use again!
Now here's a not-unexpected twist to the Jingle Belles' challenge: Their evil plan to have us craft a card a week through November will give us 48 cards. Not an bad total, except in MY world, you don't cut into a piece of 12x12 paper and make only one card. So guess what? I'm gonna use the whole sheet of Christmas paper so I don't have to put it away, so I'll make 5 more cards. If I keep this up, I'll have (doing the math) 288 cards by this time in December. YOWZA! No way I'll ever sell that many Christmas cards at my shows. HOWEVER, (insert evil grin here) I WOULD have enough to sell in my Etsy store. Hmmm. We'll see if I can keep up the pace after a few more weeks.
If you'd like to play along, come on over to the Jingle Belles Rock blog and join in the fun!
And thanks for stopping by!
* A Muse. My LSS had all the A Muse stuff segregated into a "get it while you can" section. When grilled for the details, they told me A Muse will no longer be offering a wholesale option, so my LSS will no longer be carrying their goods. SO SAD! A Muse may come up with a different option for retailers, but until then, no more A Muse at my LSS. That may have driven several purchase decisions yesterday.
** The decapitated deer. We had a woodlands creatures card one month, and people were stamping and cutting out all sorts of critters. My card actually only had them cutting out the deer, though. The poor thing's neck is really skinny, and when I heard a "whoops!", I knew. I knew there was trouble. My customer said, "Oh, no, I've decapitated my deer!" While my mind reeled with options to try and save her, one of the other Ladies said, "Just color the edges with red marker and leave it hanging." EEEP! How morbid! HAHAHA! In the end we went with the red scarf. Not even a few drops of blood showed through. :-/