Monday, January 27, 2014
OCC: Stenciled - Day 4 Homework
Oh, what a day, what a world! I'm going to subtitle this post one of the following (take your pick):
1. When "more" is too much.
2. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
3. Taking one for the team.
Yeah, it was one of those days.
I've been working on my homework for Day 4 of the Stenciled Online Card Class, and let's just say this card went in a totally different direction from my original idea.
First, here's the card, then I'll explain the long string of oopses and "I did NOT mean to do that"s:
I had originally made three DIY stencils by cutting the large and two small flames out of some chipboard. I'd intended to have FIRE coming out of that guitar! heh I applied the embossing paste and three colors of embossing powder, then left the room to allow the embossing paste to dry. I didn't want it to bubble up when I heated it.
... tick tock ... I went back later to heat up the embossing powder, and the embossing paste bubbled! I decided to embrace my situation and made sure all three bubbled! HA! I'll show 'em.
Then I placed the guitar on the card front and realized I couldn't use all three flames if I wanted it to be an A2 card, so I had to cut out the larger flame and just use that one. This was okay, since it let me place it where I wanted it. Flexibility with a card layout is a good thing.
Next we'll talk about that guitar:
Please appreciate this photo, as the guitar is the only part of this card I actually like. It all started when I went looking for my wood sheets and they are missing! Or maybe not unpacked. Or put away somewhere safe. After about 15 minutes of muttering I did find a pack of A Muse woodgrain-print card stock, so I used that instead. I die-cut the guitar from both the woodgrain card stock and a piece of white chipboard (it was out) to use as an additional layer for thickness.
Next trauma: See that piece of embossed triangle thing? When you emboss something in multiple colors (in this case, the flame), you can spend all day applying one color at a time and saving the extra back in the bottle, or just use a little bit (use a straw to apply it, or as in my world: a piece of rolled-up computer paper), and then when you tap it all off, you have a row of multiple colors of embossing powders. I took the opportunity to ink up my Tiny Flags background with Versamark and I dumped the mixed-up embossing powders over it. A two-fer! :)
There was so much WHITE on the right side of the card, I actually used part of that embossed piece to fill it in -- hey, the colors were right. Then, since the guitar now sat on top of the Tiny Flags piece, it got lost, so I needed to die-cut a black guitar to use as a shadow behind the woodgrain one for contrast. Then I cut 4 more black guitars to make the thing really thick!
Here's some more detail, and I'll continue with my tales of woe:
The front of the guitar was boring, so I die-cut that black piece you see, but it was white to start with. I pushed it into my Memento Luxe Black ink and clear-embossed it. I had to hold it in one of the openings with tweezers, and then it stuck to the tweezers. My tweezers now have black tips.
The sentiment: I actually did intend to use this sentiment, but I didn't intend to stamp it too close to the left edge of the white piece. I went ahead and embossed it, then I had to get creative, so I put the white layer at an angle on a black card and trimmed off the overhang.
I was still not feeling the love, so I stamped and embossed some tiny stars, and also added thin strips of red card stock around the white layer. As I trimmed the red pieces, I cut into the spine of the card, so it now shows white through the black.
I called it a day.
I may not try heat-embossing on top of embossing paste again. I think I'll stick with coloring the paste for now. Hmmm, I wonder ... nah, maybe another time.
Thanks for stopping by!
Products used: Sizzix chipboard sheets, A Muse woodgrain card stock, Slice spatula, vat of clear embossing powder, misc red card stock, SU embossing powders (Tangerine Tango, Melon Mambo and Cherry Cobbler), and the following: