Tuesday, April 24, 2012

SOS #49 - 'B' Theme

It's time for another challenge at Shopping Our Stash! This week we ask you to use anything that starts with the letter 'b'. Think: brads, boys, bugs, blue, banana, bicycle, bear, basket, etc. LOTS of options!  Also, Bugaboo, is our sponsor this week, so using a Bugaboo image is another option. We couldn't really make this any easier, could we?  :)

Here's my card, then I'll explain:

 This started out as a homework project for the online class I'm taking. One of the videos shows how we could use our ribbon scraps to make a die-cut shape. I was already kinda doing this with paper, but I'd not tried ribbon before. Once I started putting it together, I realized it was the perfect card for this week's SOS challenge. I've got blue, brown, a brad, a button and a banner. Not bad, not bad at all!!! :)

I made a second card, too, since I cut parts for two flowers:

Let me show you a bit about how I made this, and also one of my boo-boos so you won't make the same mistake.

First, I covered a piece of card stock with good adhesive and stuck on ribbons from my "this is too big to throw away" pile:

 See those handsome chevron shapes all across the thing? Yeah, that's my boo-boo. I used a new chevron die to attempt to cut the ribbon, and the ribbon is just too thick. You are supposed to use a steel-ruled die (the fat ones - BigZ-types) to cut through ribbon. Fortunately for me, I decided I liked the wavy lines all over the ribbon, so I was okay.

Here are the flowers after I'd die-cut them with my SU BigL Fun Flowers die:

I also cut some pieces out of a brown remnant to use as additional layers.

I embossed the blue layers with my new (and now used) Spellbinder's M-Bossabilities So Trendy folder:

 I flipped one over, just to be different. I like them both!

Now it's YOUR turn! Go into your stash and find stuff that starts with the letter 'b', use them to make a card, then come over to Shopping Our Stash and link us up so we can see what you've made!

Thanks for stopping by!

PS: Don't forget to enter my Blogiversary giveaway here!

5 comments:

  1. ooooooooooooh! i already loved this when i saw it on the crew blog, but i didn't realize the flowers were strips of RIBBON that is even more AWESOME!!!!!!!!

    ps: look at you with all these fab online courses! you will be the first of my friends to have your masters' degree in craftology, missus!!! ♥♥♥ (with HONORS!!!!!) :)
    ps: BONUS ninja points for also mentioning "BOO BOOS" and BLOGIVERSARY!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful CAS cards! I'm in love the with M-Bossabilities So Trendy folder yo used! Your ribbon blooms are fabulous1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this ribbon idea is really the coolest idea! I wish I had some of the bigger dies to try this because it looks amazing and such a great way to use up scraps! Love the embossed background too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this ribbon idea is really the coolest idea! I wish I had some of the bigger dies to try this because it looks amazing and such a great way to use up scraps! Love the embossed background too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great result - sounds quite hard to do though, so well done you on sticking with it. "B" rilliant card, Jx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)