Sunday, May 13, 2012

Jingle Belles - Embossing

The current Jingle Belles challenge is to use embossing on our cards. I'm still working out of my Heaplet, so I was handicapped from the get-go. I mean, well ... just look, then I'll explain:

I selected a piece of old old old SU holiday paper from The Heaplet and ran it through an SU embossing folder. It's thin, one-sided paper, and it, um, distressed itself. This is actually my second piece, since I attempted to sand the first one and I shredded it. You can see I left the white showing on this one so it looks like I meant to do that. I was almost out of that piece of paper, too, which I'll whine talk about here in a moment.

I decided to follow this sketch from Cardabilities:

So I got to work on the center section:

First, I added the black border. I'm not even sure it goes, but there it is.  Next, I grabbed one of my MS doily tags, and it was so WHITE, I sponged it with Crumb Cake ink. Then I had an idea I'd use one of my Big A$$ buttons in the center, but none of them were the right color, of course, so I'll just MAKE one, right? Let me just say that I managed to disappear that whole piece of paper by punching the wrong sized circles out of it. By the time I got one the right size, I was forced to punch circles out of thin chipboard, and only had one piece of patterned paper for the top layer. It was a mess.

So you're wondering where that button is, aren't you? It's in the trash! I was coloring the edges of the chipboard and managed to slip not once, but TWICE and colored over the last remaining piece of patterned paper I had. FAIL!

So I had lunch.

Then I remembered these fabby stickers I got from Miss Lauren herself, no less, and by this point I didn't even care that it was shiny. I punched a Kraft circle to put under it (yes, that's Kraft ... my photography skillz sukketh, k?) and that part was decided.

Sentiment ... I needed a sentiment. I decided to go for bonus points and heat-emboss a sentiment! The JOY stamp was stamped in Ranger embossing ink -- so sticky! -- and heat-embossed with Ranger Antique Linen Distress EP. I like that it's not shiny, and it almost balances out the sticker. Almost.

Oh, that was stamped on Kraft, so I made some red inky spray with some Ranger reinker and a mini mister and sprayed it, then distressed the edges with a really dark Brown. Then I rested.

I  ... don't even want to talk about the washi tape.

Oh, look, it's Margarita O'clock!

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know how you can even look at Christmas stamps this time of year. Mine are tucked quietly away in the closet, where they shall remain until November, tyvm. I like the shiny sticker in the middle, I think it adds just a little sumpin-sumpin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the effect of the embossing on the thin designer paper ... and that shiny sticker works fabulously ... I love how it all comes together ... so very glad you joined us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. duuuuuuuuuuuude, i think this is one of those times when the traumas of creation have interfered with your ability to see HOW COOL the finished product actually is!!! in a few days i think you'll see that the distressing DOES look "on purpose"... (& awesome!) that the button and sentiment DO balance each other... & that the black border is BRILLIANT for both the sketch and "grounding" the rest of the card! so THERE!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)