Monday, June 27, 2011

Something New

I got this bug up my patootie that I need to offer money holders. This all came about when I sold a card to a guy who held up a dollar bill to see if it would fit without folding, and it won't. Maybe in a 5x7 card, but not in a A2. Boo. So, yeah, the wheels started turning.

Last night I made this:

I started with a piece of real paper money and played. I made several templates out of printer paper until I got it right. Once I figured out the dimensions*, I grabbed a piece of miscellaneous textured card stock and sliced and diced to make that handsome blue thing above.

Here's the inside:

The notch was punched with the Wide Oval punch before I stuck it down. It's as wide as it is to allow for a strip of red-line tape on either side of the pocket to hold it closed. I've seen versions with a loose pocket and the corners cut down, but what if it's a check instead of cash? Nah, I like it closed.

Next time I may play with it a little and make the pocket a little less tall. Or not, we'll see.

Those two shiny things are the two halves of a BG magnet closure from a pack I had to first find, then break into. I don't know why it's required that we have amazing upper-body strength to break into craft supplies. Seriously, people, lighten up.

Today I looked for envelopes to fit this beast. Not. This is apparently a non-standard size. I CRY FOUL! Fortunately, I found this tutorial on the Interwebz on how to make any size envelope in 3 minutes. Uh-huh. It's always more difficult than it looks, right? But hey, it was worth a try.

So tonight when I got home, even before I emptied my pockets and changed into my jammies, I went into the Captain's Quarters, grabbed a miscellaneous piece of 12x12 paper, and set to work. Within the advertised 3 minutes (not counting the search for the paper) I had made this**:

Okay, 5 minutes if you count adding the tape. This is what it looks like on the inside:

Please ignore the little cut in the flap. I slipped. ;/ I put a piece of Scor-Tape on the flap so sealing this baby will be easy.

I think this has promise! And not only will I use up my miscellaneous textured card stock, I'll also use up some miscellaneous 12x12 paper for the envelopes. Go, me! I think maybe I'll make some from wedding-ish papers, too. :)

That's it! I need to go make some more of these and also work on my Jingle Belles card for the week.

Thanks for stopping by!

* Measurements for the folder:
7" x 8 1/2" (isn't that convenient?!)
score along the long edge at 3" and 6", leaving a 2 1/2" flap

** Measurements for the envelope:
First, according to the USPS First Class rules, I knew this had to be a minimum of 3 1/2 " tall, so that's what drove that detail.
My envelope came out at 7 1/2" x 3/3/4"

2 comments:

  1. looks great! will definitely have to check out that tutorial...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just brilliant! I bet you will sell quite a few of those, especially with envelopes to match.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)