Thursday, August 9, 2012

Loopy Birthday

One of the hazards of blurfing is your bloggy pals follow challenges you've never heard of, but because you like your bloggy pals' styles, and you trust them to not lead you astray, you add these challenge blogs to your own Reader list so you can be "in the know" and be cool like they are, then your Reader goes out of control and you find you have a squillion challenges you want to do, but then you also realize you like to sleep, and then your world implodes. Yeah, that.

So one of my new subscriptions is to Tuesday Morning Sketches. This week's sketch didn't WOW me until I saw this card, and not only did I need to use the sketch, I needed to somehow own a punch or die to make that shape. Do you see how this quickly spirals out of control?!

So here's the current sketch:

And here is one of the two cards I made:

The original card used a Cricut to cut the shape, but I quickly enlisted my pal Natalie (paper24x7 on SCS - check out her cards; they are amazing!) to determine the closest Nestabilities set or MS punch set (she may or may not own most of them). We decided on the MS Loopy Punch Around The Page duo, and she made me a few squares to play with. I used some Basic Grey papers to make the candles and two of the buttons. I didn't emboss these, as I thought they looked better un-shiny. The candle flames are Dew Drops. Now I only have 45356 Dew Drops left. ;/

I also made a second card, but it doesn't quite meet the challenge requirements, so it was just made in the spirit of the challenge:

I had that Thanks Friend piece in my UFO pile, left over from making this DTGD card, so I used it, and now it's off my desk. Unfortunately, the sketch challenge wanted the sentiment where I put washi tape (to fill in the blank space) and it was also supposed to be a birthday card. But I'm okay with that! I still used one of the loopy squares, and I kinda like the twist on the sketch.

Oh, and that loopy square is Bermuda Bay, not Turquoise. Still working on the camera and editing skillz. I thank you for your patience.

Thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. hard to say which one i like more. The dew drops on the first one - how cool is that????? And I love the color combination on the second one. Nope, I can't choose wich one is my favorite :-)
    P.S. Thank you for mentioning my SCS gallery, you are too kind

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them both, especially the buttons on the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I feel like I need to go find some of those tear-shaped yellow dew drops - and here I'd gotten myself down to around 100 left! I love the loopy border substitution - I couldn't come close so eliminated it entirely in a fit of pique ;) So happy to see you join us at Tuesday Morning Sketches - I hope you will again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are over the top wonderful! Love that sketch and you used it to perfection for these card! The buttons are a great addition too. FABULOUS!!!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie, I hear you about the squillion challenges!!
    Glad you enjoyed the sketch and your cards are wonderful!!!
    You may have figured it out,, but MTC is Make-the-Cut and it is a program for cutting with an electric die cutting machine.
    I love your loopy punched edge!! Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome cards...they are both colorful and fun...love how you have used the Dew Drops for the candle flame! Thank you for playing along with us at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much more perfect can the photography be? The cards are lovely and look great. "-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cute! Love the punch and those dew drops are perfect for the candle flames

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous cards! I love the dew drops as the flames on the first one - perfect! Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely fantastic cards! I love them both. I really like that loopy border and the candles are adorable. I am so happy that we made your list. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love what you did with the sketch..it's perfect..both of your cards!! Thanks for joining us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! Both cards are great! Thanks for playing along with us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)