Tuesday, August 7, 2012

SOS #63 - Monocrome

It's TUESDAY, and time for another Shopping Our Stash challenge. This week we ask you to make a Monochrome card. You can include some neutral, but it should be mostly your color of choice.

I decided to challenge myself to use my second-most-disliked color: Purple. The trouble I have with purple is it's so difficult to match. That's one bennie of SU stuff - all that matchy-matchy takes a lot of the work out of it, but if I use another company's patterned papers, I go nuts trying to get just the right purple. I find it easier to simply avoid the color all together.

For my card, I started out in my purple remnants pile, and thought I'd take all my purples that go with nothing and declare they went together. They didn't. So I went to The Heaplet, grabbed a piece of SU DSP remnant, and made this:

I did manage to use two purples: Wisteria Wonder and Concord Crush. Concord Crush is one purple I actually don't mind too much. I was following this month-old sketch from Some Odd Girl:

In this gratuitous close up you can see the rolled flower I made out of vellum:

Vellum is a slippery bugger, and it didn't cooperate as nicely as patterned paper does. I just hand-cut a rough circle, then cut it into a spiral and rolled it up. After the glue had dried, I added a pearl colored with a Copic marker, then went over the edges of the vellum with a purple Sharpie.

You can also see the texture on that horizontal piece of Concord Crush under the flower. I used my now-opened MFT Grosgrain Texture Board on it; it's a nice subtle pattern.

Now it's YOUR turn. Go into your stash and choose a color -- could be your favorite color, your most disliked color, a color you don't usually use ... JUST PICK ONE. Make a card with it, then come back to Shopping Our Stash and link us up so we can see what you've made!

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. My purple opinion exactly! Can't match it for beans. Sheesh. Well, not match, so much as not look awful together.
    That lattice piece is awesome, and I love that sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are SO RIGHT about the purple-matchin' connundrum!!!! on the other hand, this is where the "collage gene" pays off b/c you can just put a bit of EVERY purple on there and call it good! :)

    ANOTHER thing absolutely ANYONE would have to call good, or rather superb, is this ♥GOREGOUS♥ card which, i have to tell you, NO ONE would guess you didn't loooooooooooove making!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie - I am very proud of you ;) Purple happens to be one of my favorite colors but you are right it can be tricky to match. You did a great job! I love the die you used and that embossing plate from MFT may have to find a home at my place sometime soon!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you have the most gorgeous dies! Another fab card, Leslie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and perfectly designed! Your creativity is in overdrive lately - loving it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)