Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mastering Spray Inks (Not)

I laughed as I typed that title, because I'm so far from mastering spray inks I can't see it over the hill and far away. But I did play tonight, and I did make a mess, so all is not lost!

I came into some Stephanie Barnard spray inks a few weeks ago, and I needed - NEEDED - to play with them. Tonight I cut some Core'dinations white textured card stock into card fronts, taped up a box to make it fairly safe to catch the spray, and got started.

First, I tried flicking the inky tube onto a piece of the card stock. I did this on my craft mat for protection, and amazingly most of it hit the paper. This is what came out of that effort:


That's just a few splatters with pink, green and yellow. Not too bad. No big blobs, but I'm okay with that. I added some pink washi tape and a sentiment from my now-open Avery Elle Lots of Love set.

Next I went to the box and tried spraying. I had to throw away a few pieces of paper before I got it under control, but here's the first one I kept:


The orange came out kindof concentrated, but that's okay. I lightly sprayed some yellow around it and called it done.

Next up, red and yellow:


I kind like it. :) One more with green and yellow:


This one got some washi tape behind the sentiment, too, for a little contrast.

All in all, I'm kinda pleased for the 30 minutes I played. Hopefully I'll come up with a different splotch pattern next time. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used but not linked below: Stephanie Barnard spray inks, Core'dinations Foundations canvas texture card stock (got it at the LSS), misc washi tape.





6 comments:

  1. Very nice! i can't get the hang of sprays, but now I am encouraged to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohh, love these! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i am diggin the second red and orange one!!!
    -Rachel w k
    rwkrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it looks like the box is important when it comes to the full on spray part! Distance may be key. I like how these turned out - the texture of the cardstock made your splats extra splatty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did pretty good with those! I have never had any luck with sprays at all. They either clog or they are too messy.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)