Tuesday, April 16, 2013

SOS #97 - Text or Letters

It's Tuuuuuuuesday! That means it's time for a new challenge over at Shopping Our Stash. This week we ask you to use text or letters. Some ideas to think about: script-themed images; text-themed papers or images; stamp a bunch of letters for a border; use ABC's; use a page from an old book, dictionary, etc. LOTS of ideas there.

As I rummaged for some paper, I spied a piece of Fancy Pants 12x12 text paper and I used it ALL. ALL of it. Here's my card, then I'll explain:


That is scrawled handwriting text. It is quite detailed and ... shall I say "busy"? I had no idea what to put with it until I turned it over and saw the back was a floral pattern, so it became the contrast strip. Sooo easy.

I used one of Jennifer McGuire's tricks and put thin black strips of card stock on either side of the floral piece to make it look layered, but not have the bulk. I also layered the piece on black.

For the sentiment, I saw a tag in my head, so I made tags using my SU Tag punch. I cut the strips of card stock long, but the exact width of the punch opening, then slid it through and just punched the top. This lets you make a tag any length, and mine are all different. I totally meant to do that. Since I made multiple cards, about half-way through this process I realized I didn't need no stinkin' punch*, but it was too late, so I just carried on.

I ended up with five cards from that piece of 12x12. I used up the strip that was left from cutting the six 5.25 pieces, and I used the sixth piece for additional floral strips. I have a small piece left that will go on another card.

Here is one with the other sentiment I used:


The black twine is from some I got in a heated moment while perusing Ellen Hutson's shop.  It's bamboo and ever so soft. I got in it, um, several colors.

Okay, now it's YOUR turn. Go into your stash and find some text paper, or a text background stamp, or use a page from an old book. Then make a card and come on back to Shopping Our Stash to link us up so we can see what you've made!

Thanks for stopping by!

* You do not need a punch to make a tag with angled edges. All you need is a ruler or some grid paper. Just use a pencil to mark 1/2" from each of the top corners. Do this both on the top and down the side. Then cut to connect the dots. If you are squeemish, you can draw the line to connect them and then cut the line. You can alter the measurement to make different angles, but this way it's always even.

Products used but not linked below: Fancy Pants "It's the little things" paper, SU Very Vanilla and Basic Black card stock, two small circle punches, MS glue pen.




5 comments:

  1. Love these cards and papers. Also - TAGS. They are my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are wonderful - I love that scribbled paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen UHF? We just introduced the kids to it last week, and so it keeps going around the house: "Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' BADGERS!"
    Ahem.
    The floral pattern IS the perfect contrast, and I love the bamboo twine - bamboo is SO soft, and I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Double-sided paper is the best! I love the simplicity of your design and the terrific tag. Fantastic card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie - I think this card is great! That text paper looks fabulous with the floral and I love the black mats. Great job with both cards!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)