Saturday, July 21, 2012

Jingle Belles - Red OR Green

I'm back with a card for the current Jingle Belles challenge. I've been gone toooo long! This fortnight we are challenged to use red OR green, but not both!

Once again, I was inspired by what was out on my desk. One of the items is a pack of newly acquired Tim Holtz Core'dinations KRAFT CORE NOSTALGIC Colorcore 4.25 X 5.5 Cardstock. That's a lot of words to say "really cool colors of textured card stock with a Kraft core", which may actually be more words, but ... you get the idea.

Here's my card, then I'll explain:

 I started out by embossing this really cool green color of card stock with an SU embossing folder. I lightly sanded it to reveal the kraft core on the raised flowers. VERY nice! I hacked off the bottom of it to give me a place to stamp a sentiment, die-cut some Memory Box deer, added some ruffled ribbon, tried to glue down the loops and made a mess, added some twine to fill the gap, stamped the sentiment, and stamped some green things on either side of the sentiment*. Then it got hard.

All along my plan was to apply Opal Liquid Pearls to the raised dots in the center of the flowers and the other dots I'm calling snowflakes. I am liquid-pearls-impaired. :( BUT, on a lighter note, I may have invented a new technique. You see, when I realized I'm liquid-pearls-impaired, I was well on my way to ruining an almost-completed card. I do that all. the. time. I have such pretty trash. But I was determined to save this one.

I did such a poor job of applying the dots, I actually tried to save myself and took a wet wipe to try to wipe them off so I could start over. Well, the pearls came off, but so did some more of the green, which revealed more of the kraft core. Lookie:

See how that flower at about 11:30 is way kraftier than the others? It got wiped! So I wiped a few more to balance it out and make it look like I meant to do that. So, have I discovered a new technique? :)

One final note: Out of respect for the challenge to use NO RED, since I obviously chose the green option, I removed the piece of red card stock from the back of my ghetto photo studio when I took the photo of the card. It just seemed right.

I'm going back in for a few more cards! Thanks for stopping by!

* Sentiment and flowers are from the Taylored Expressions Peaceful Poinsettia stamp set.

9 comments:

  1. Ghetto Photo Studio ... you crack me up ... and I too an liquid pearls impaired, so I completely understand your issue ... and who knew wet wipes were all it took to create a new technique (my wet wipes are currently all dry wipes, so I need to get some more) ... so very glad to see you at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Kraft Core'dinations cardstock! And you worked it, girl. This card looks so awesome. Love your happy "accident" with the Liquid Pearls, too. So VERY pretty. A super awesome card, Leslie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card. It has a serene look- even it's creation was not so calm. Great card. I like the wiped embossed look and the deer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, that's official, that's what I'm calling my photo set up from now on. LOL!
    I think you've got a new technique - I wonder if the LP is a required element, or could ya just use the wipe and skip the middleman? It looks fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serendipity at work. Great holiday card. And so easy to replicate for all your holiday card needs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. duuuuuuuuuude!!! you are a TECHNIQUE CREATOR!!!!!!! :) :) :) awesome! as is that drool-inspiring kraft-kore kardstock; as indeed is your whole entire amazing card!! love♥LOVE♥looooove this!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this - very elegant

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is beautiful! I love how you've kept to such neutral, soft colors - it's so right for this card, one can really see the beautifully embossed paper and the lovely reindeer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh YUMMMMMM! I have the Nostalgic Tim Holtz paper too...TWO pads even, but I have barely used it. I LOVE your card, L! You may see this CASEd...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)