Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cats & Owners

I had the distinct pleasure of being owned by a cat for over 11 years, and I must say, they are wonderful creatures. I was fortunate enough to adopt a kitteh that was a lap cat, and we got along splendidly. She was a free-feeder, which worked out great for me with my crazy schedule, plus she never woke me up to be fed. That was definitely a bonus!

But how many times have you heard a strange kitteh story and your only response could be, "Well, she's a CAT!" Yeah, the who-owns-who debate leans strongly in the direction of the felines, for sure.

So today I went into The Captain's Quarters, intent on making a card for this week's Catered Crop challenge to use BUTTONS on our cards. I also wanted to make a card or two for the Clean & Simple online class I'm taking. Instead, I made a cat card:

 Okay, I made two since I couldn't decide on a base color:

I had an "Oh, shiny" moment when I stepped into The Captain's Quarters and spied my new Clear & Simple goodies. I was enabled to purchase them by reading a blog post that led me here: Little Critter Collection. So to make up for this moment of weakness, I tackled two different challenges than the one(s) I'd intended to do. I used the current sketch from Clean & Simple:

and I included the pleated ribbon (from the SU Occasions Mini - yes, I got them all) for the Hand Stamped Sentiments challenge to use pleats or ruffles.

Now back to my card(s):


I used the kitteh stamp and die from my purchase, though I did use a hobby knife to cut out the space between the body and tail. The image is stamped onto an SU DSP remnant. The sentiment is from C is for Cat. And I put a piece of Very Vanilla seam binding under the Baja Breeze pleated ribbon for contrast. His nose is colored with a Copic marker. In hindsight, I think a think felt heart would be a fabulous nose. :) Next time.

The cat was fat enough to skew the sketch, so I hope I'm not disqualified. :(

One note about the stamps and dies: I used the die to cut one of them and I hand-cut the other one, not because I was running a controlled test, which in my world would have made perfect sense, but because I stamped the image before I die-cut it and hand-cutting it was easier than lining up the die. It was way easier to die-cut the shape first and then stamp on it. So if I've managed to enable you to NEED these stamps and dies, please know that the images are large enough to hand-cut so you don't also NEED the dies. You're welcome.

Now I need to go do that button challenge. And go to the Post Office. And shower. Not necessarily in that order.

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Adorable! Love the patterned cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this card...the cat is cuddlicious! love that you stamped it on DSP...especially one that looks like fish scales lol. I think you need a new feline friend....it's time. Murphy arrives tonight... We pick him up tomorrow SQUEEEEEEEEEE

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is a sweetie! Love that cat and your fab ribbon treatment too. My favorite stamp that I own says,"Never trust anyone without cat hair on their clothes."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that fat cat image! Love how you used the patterned paper to make it. Reminds me of the stuffed calico cats that were popular years ago. Thanks for playing with us this week at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is so cute! That little cat looks so squishy and fun!! I like that you used the pleated ribbon to finish off the card. Adds a nice dimension! Thank you for joining us at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, what a cute cat:-) And this one won't make me all itchy:-) Love the ribbon, it's the perfect CAS touch! Thanks for playing at Hand Stamped Sentiments!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)