Monday, October 19, 2015

What's Old Is New Again

You know how a cat thinks something is new because you've moved it, and now it's interesting again? Well, I found myself looking through my drawer of wood stamps and pulled out a few that haven't seen ink in quite a while.  I also pulled out my new Dylusions sentiment set that is totally deserving of seeing ink.

Here is my first of two cards that resulted from this play time:


Oh, look, I've managed to affix the sentiment pieces crooked. ;/

This lady is so much fun! I colored her in my current color rut colors of blue and light green. I was following the current Your Next Stamp sketch:


Because the lady was cut as a rectangle, I swapped the circle and rectangle elements of the sketch. And hopefully the three-line sentiment passes for the horizontal element of the sketch.

About that rectangle ... The rectangle die was the right height, but too wide, so I did this:


I lined up the die-cut along the inside edge, matching the existing cuts along the top and bottom to the die, then cut it narrower. It worked great.

Oh, look again, I left out the blue layer of the sketch. Oh, well. But I used the lady, I colored, and I used another piece of a Gelli plate print. I'd say that's a good day!

For my second card, I used this cool owl stamp I found in a box of ... owl stamps, and decided to continue my color rut of blue and green:


I colored his chest feathers, then added some white dots with my white pen. I also added white dots to his eyeballs. I decided to color his outside feathers in traditional boring browns.

The green layer is SU Sage Shadow. This color is the reason I discovered SU, including a local Demo, then eventually became a Demo myself. That lasted eight years, and it was a lot of fun. A friend and I were hitting up all the stamp and scrapbook stores (and there were quite a few back then) looking for just the right shade of green. Someone mentioned a fellow coworker was a Demo, and that's all she wrote. We were hooked.

ANYway, that green layer is a piece of my hoarded Sage Shadow card stock. It may not be a perfect match to the Copics I used, but it makes me happy.

The sentiment is from a Hero Arts set.

Well, that was fun. Revisiting your stash can be quite rewarding, even if it's not my best work.

Thanks for stopping by!

Some of the stuff I used:  Art Impressions woman, Memory Box Artsy Owl, Lil' Inker Stitched Mats: Circles, and the following stamps:



8 comments:

  1. That first card is FABULOUS! I laughed and its early for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just THINKING about being pleasant exhausts me! It is fun to revisit old stash and pull out some oldies but goodies. These are both great cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blues and greens and the design of your first card. That sentiment makes me laugh. :) You colored the owl's feathers beautifully on your second card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun way to interpret the sketch. I love when people take the sketch and make it their own. Nice work. Thanks for sharing your card and playing along with our current sketch challenge at Your Next Stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first card is hilarious! You may have to leave her out and use her once in a while. The colouring of your owl is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip with the die cut. Your card is adorable!! Thanks for joining us at YNS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that sentiment is just too funny! Great way to change up the sketch and still incorporate all the elements, especially the way you did the sentiment. thanks for joining in challenge #25 at YNS and sharing such a fun take on the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!! Love the first one! Too funny!! Adorable second card as well!! Thanks for joining us at Your Next Stamp!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)