Saturday, October 24, 2015

Peace On Earth

I was in challenge mode yesterday and cranked out a few cards. This one is for the current Freshly Made Sketches sketch:

My initial instinct when I see a sketch with a specific shape or image is to not use that image. I like to change things up. But this time I decided to use a tree die, and one that gave me fits the last time I used it. My memory is pretty bad, because the die gave me fits this time, too. ;/

Here's my card, then I'll explain:



This is a Memory Box die, and the last time I used it, it jammed my Big Shot. These are things that are tough to forget, and probably why I haven't used this die since then.

First I tried cutting some pretty blue glitter paper, but the die wouldn't cut all the way through. I added the metal shim to my sandwich and tried again ... nope.

Plan B: die-cut some light blue card stock, then make it shiny, which is what I did, but not without some pain and suffering. The first one I cut came out after I included the metal shim in the sandwich, but it's so detailed, the thought of applying adhesive to the back of it made me a little ill, so I tried a few more things, including double-sided sticky paper, and they all failed me. I ended up using the first shape I cut out.

Shiny. I need to make it shiny. I colored it using a newly-opened clear Wink of Stella pen, and the shiny was pouring out of it. I have glitter everywhere. You'll see the results in a moment.  I was going to emboss it, too, but decided enough was enough.

I applied Matte Medium to most of the back of the tree. The rest of the back of the tree got SU 2-way glue pen.

Once it was stuck down, it still looked nekkid, so I added some Hero Arts Metallic Decor that hangs on a hook on my desk lamp.

Here is a photo where I attempt to show you the shiny:


All that stuff that looks white? That's clear Wink of Stella. I told you it came pouring out. Don't squeeze too hard when you start up a new pen ... you've been warned.

The sentiment was stamped in Memento Luxe Gray Flannel and clear-embossed.

The die has been returned to the Holiday Stuff drawer, perhaps never to resurface.

Thanks for stopping by!

Some of the stuff I used:  Paper Smooches Christmas Sampler, Memento Luxe Gray Flannel ink, vat of clear embossing powder, Memory Box Winterland Tree die, clear Wink of Stella, Matte Medium, SU 2-way glue pen, Hero Arts Metallic Decor, Distress Ink - Tattered Rose, broad water brush (to paint the background, and yes, it's pink).

6 comments:

  1. It may have been an ordeal to create, but the end result is beautiful. I love the detail on this tree. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a beautiful tree...spray adhesive maybe for that delicate stuff. Your PS sentiment is perfect with all those curly cues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out beautiful for all of your efforts! I have this die and rarely use it because one side doesn't cut completely through - so I hear your frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pink on purpose, without a compelling reason? I'd start to worry, except it does look quite perfect here with the sparkly blue tree. (I did a much better job with my new black WofS pen than I did starting my first clear one. Also, YouTube as a reminder...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure why you returned that die to the drawer instead of putting it directly into the trash.... except I have a MB die that is like that and I still have it. I finally added a zillion pieces of tape to the back of it where it doesn't cut (along with the metal shim). It is a scrollwork thing like this. So I guess sometimes good dies just go bad. Your card came out wonderful so all the work was worth it. so shiny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really did turn out so well. Sorry for all the stress but so glad it turned into such a success. Glad you joined us this week at FMS!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)