Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Jingle Belles Rock #19 - Vintage

This week's challenge over at Jingle Belles Rock is "Christmas Past", and to use something vintage, or with a vintage feel, or something old, or whatever. Well, you know me: I lack the vintage gene. You'll notice it's Wednesday, which is the deadline for posting. Ugh. *shakes fist at The Belles*

I was going to use an old BINGO card as my base (it's old, right?) but as I rummaged in my stash of papers looking for the 7 Gypsies papers I used a while back, this piece of paper fell off the pile on the shelf:

It's from a pack of DaisyD papers RuffHaven enabled me to purchase a few years ago, and ... what part of hoarding has not been clear?

So I decided it looked vintage-y, and after 3 or 4 failed attempts at selecting just the right red, I decided it needed a Cherry Cobbler layer. Check.

Then I turned it over:

Oh, dear. I liked that side, too. A short dilemma, a few chewed nails, and I decided to go with the first side.

Now what? (Psst: this is why I don't do vintage.) So I rummaged for some lace and found a pack of HA self-stick lace strips and added this one:

A little busy, but I kinda liked it. Then I got stuck again. I thought the paper was too busy to add much of anything else, but what about a focal point? What about a sentiment? What about something to make it look like a Christmas card?!?!??!?!!? Sigh.

I rummaged for sentiments. I chewed another nail. A BIRD! It needed a cardinal! So I took out my SU bird punch and added a bird:

I did a two-layer branch because (1) I punched the red branch with the bird and the wing, (2) branches aren't red, (3) the brown branch disappeared into the paper, and (4) the red branch added some contrast/shadow/whatever.

Now what? I was running out of finger nails, so I made an executive decision that the card was finished. Well, the outside of it was, anyway. Next, I did something that I almost never do: I put something on the inside of the card. Lookie:

The top strip of paper is a trimmed edge from the piece on the front. The sentiment is SU.

Not bad for under 30 minutes. And it's Wednesday morning, so I made the deadline, too! Yay, me.

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. well, i think you may have to revise your statement of, "you don't do vintage" cause missus: YOU HAVE JUST TOTALLY DONE VINTAGE BRILLIANTLY!!!!!!!!!! so there! feel free to stick to your guns on not doing windows, or anything else you like tho! :) :) :)

    (seriously: WOW WOW WOW! this is gorgeous, and i think i HAVE some of that paper, and i think i want to get it and my bird dies out RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!) ♥♥♥♥♥!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a stunner. The bird is perfect and the double branch looks great. gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous. I wish I had some of that paper it is super lovely! And I'm glad you used the 1st side because the swirly-bops are just super awesome! Your die-cut cardinal is perfect-o! <3 LOVE THIS!! And you absolutely do "DO" vintage, my dear. It's beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I think I have that paper too…old stash…brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)