Thursday, May 19, 2011

Crafty Thursday

Let me begin this post with a tale of woe. Well, not really woe, but I've been pretty stabby all day. Yeah, I know, I should put this on my ranting blog, but I don't feel like it, so here we go.

I've been trying to find some more letters to use for my shadow box ribbon wreaths and I've been less than successful. I thought I wanted Thickers (they come in all sorts of fabby fonts), but I wanted white, and no one had all the different ones I desired, so preferring not to pay shipping from multiple stores, I thought to try Amazon.

Now Amazon and I go way back, like to the first year they were in business, before they turned a profit. I got a Thank You coffee travel mug that year. I did! But once they started adding other stores besides books and music, I kinda lost the love. I think what totally turned me off was when I bought a book and it turned out it was from a 3rd-party seller, and since I was having things shipped from multiple sellers, I paid like a squillion dollars for shipping. Never again, I said, never again.

I tell you this because I found all the Thickers I wanted at Amazon. ALL of them. And I knew enough by now to check to see who the seller was, and I made sure they were all the same one, even if it was 3rd-party. But when I went to check out and verify my order, I saw that shipping was MORE than the product! Look:


I was in shock, so I double-checked and yep, all of them were from the same seller. What the?!?!?! I mean come on, Thickers weigh less than AIR, and even 10 packs of them would fit in a bubble envelope, or a flat-rate box, and ship for less than $11.00. Seriously.

So when I got home tonight, I opened a chat window with Amazon and guess what - I got INDIA! They don't even try to disguise it any more. Grrrr. So Amar said hello, I asked my question about shipping and I waited. And waited. I typed, "Hello?" and I waited some more. I typed, "Amar, are you there?" and he said "Yes, I am here. How may I help you." You see where this is going, right?

After a few more minutes of him "checking" he asked what I was trying to buy. WT?!? What was he checking?!?!?! I told him to maybe look at my shopping cart (DUUUUH!) so he came back and told me I bought from a 3rd-party seller.

*steam came out of my ears*

The rest of the conversation went like this:

Me: How can I contact the seller to ask about the shipping?
Amar: You know you could contact the seller.

*steam came out of my ears again*

I said, "Thanks." (because my Momma taught me to), and ended the chat session. I wasn't going to wait around for him to ask if there was anything else he could help me with. Afraid of what I might have said.

But all is well! Why? Because (1) I found the Thickers I wanted at another online store that I'd missed earlier today, and (2) I got a survey from Amazon asking me to rate my satisfaction with my Chat person. heh heh heh *rubs hands together*

So in the end, I am no longer stabby; well, no longer AS stabby, and I made some cards. I finally broke into my other two Paper Smooches sets and here's the first card I made:

ALL of the papers on here are remnants. ALL of them. This card is a weird size - 4x6, but I used most of a lone remaining piece of 12x12 Melon Mambo, a piece of orange paper from some Specialty DSP, and some of that American Craft cloud paper. I made two of these.

Next I broke into the other set and used the cow image to make this:

Lots going on here. I made 4 of these, and used up another chunk of that cloud paper, some Pear DSP, and the yellow layer is from the GAH bright card I made for this (last) week's Hambo Hoedown challenge. The sun is my newly initiated MFT sun die that I cut out of a yellow remnant and some scraps of that dotted yellow paper. It's gone, people, gone!

The ribbon is A Muse Studio and let me tell you something I learned this evening... When you use this fold-and-stick technique with sheer ribbon, even the top loopy part sticks. Sweet.

So that's it. It's pouring rain, and I think I need to go to bed. I love sleeping when it's raining.

Make sure to stop back tomorrow for the Hambo Customer Blog Hop! We used movie titles for our card inspiration, and I may or may not have gotten a little irreverent. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. These are soooooo cute!!! Oh my gosh I love love love them! I seriously need to place a Paper Smooches order. But no, must wait until I'm in Atlanta!!! Ok I need to go back & finish reading your post now - the customer dis-service thing was making me grind my teeth so I skipped ahead to the fabby cards. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMgoodness!!! Those birds on the wire are genius! Submit this card, ASAP for publication. I mean it. Brilliant. Adorable. Creative and beyond. Love it :)

    I really like the cow too; you may recall all the cow stuff in my kitchen. He's a cutie-patootie.

    Sorry about the amazon snafu. They are my life line, but I rarely order from third parties and pay shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how much you rocked these, Leslie. They are BEYOND cute!! Seriously awesome!! I hope you are selling these somewhere...anywhere. So incredibly bright & fun. Love them!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)