Saturday, January 17, 2015

And Now For Something A Bit Different

I've been posting a lot of CAS-ish cards lately, so I wanted to warn you about this next card. It's technique-laden, and very busy.

Ready? Here she is:


I warned you!

This is for the current Friday Mash-up challenge:


This week's Mash-up Challenge is:
  • Create a project with the "Triple Layer Technique" Tutorial HERE.
  • Create a project that's "Floral".
  • or Mash it Up! and create a "Floral Triple Layer Project".
I opted to go busy or go home, so I did both.

Please note: I did not follow the tutorial; instead I made up my own way to get a similar effect.

Traditionally, one makes a background by stamping and coloring images, but not me. Oh, no no no. I went with a floral lace background stamp instead. I stamped it with Unicorn white ink and heat-embossed it with Hero Arts white embossing powder.

Then I added three colors of Distress ink: Picked Raspberry, Squeezed Lemonade, and Tumbled Glass. I chose these three so I'd get some orange, green and purple where they overlapped.

Then I lined up two rectangle dies and cut the base:


If you try this, you can cut yours straight.

And this is what the base looks like after it was hacked up:


I added a layer of blue Bazzill card stock under each of the center panels. The cool thing about these layers is they hide the opening under the layer. I put the larger layer on foam tape, but stuck the smaller layer directly to the one under it. No need to make this card an inch thick.

I was originally going to put a bold sentiment, stamped with black, on a banner across the center, but I couldn't get it to look right, so I went to Plan B and used a die-cut sentiment, cut from a remnant of Hero Arts Charcoal paper. I cut a white sentiment, too, so I could stack the sentiment a little. I dotted the i with a drop of Silver Pearl Liquid Pearls.

This was quite labor-intensive, and probably won't happen again any time soon, but I'm happy I made it.

I have one more challenge card to share, then I might take a nap.

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: Bazzill Sea Water textured card stock, and the following:







9 comments:

  1. Not all. Love the new header at the top of your blog!

    Ok, that is all.... now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really pretty, I like how you added the colors of distress ink. And thanks for the "construction photos" - it's always nice to see how things are put together! Thanks for joining us at the Friday Mashup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsers, this is a beautiful birthday card, Leslie! Love your way of making the layers too. I was wondering how you managed to emboss it so perfectly, because after stamping the layers there always seems to be a bit of a gap even after putting colored paper under it to hide that. Thanks for the tip and for joining us at the Friday Mashup this week.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how triple layer cards look so fiddly but really aren't. Yours looks extra fiddly. I really like though but nope, not gonna try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you mashed it up quite beautifully. I so love this frilly girly card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super idea, Leslie! I will file that creative idea for sure. Your card turned out so lovely with the embossing and sponging. Thanks so much for sharing at the Friday Mashup this week:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)