Thursday, January 15, 2015

Happy Birthday Shaker Star

I once said I'd broken up with shaker cards, but I watched a few friends make them last weekend, and one of them gifted me a few sheets of acetate, so I gave it another try.  Here's what I made, then I'll explain:


You can see all the innards down in the star's left leg.  I followed the current Freshly Made Sketches sketch for my layout:

and the colors in the patterned paper were based on the current Color Throwdown challenge:


I die-cut the window with my now-opened Lifestyle Crafts Nested Stars dies, stuck on the layer of acetate, backed it with fun foam, filled it with some MS glitter shapes, and added the patterned paper backing. Before I put the patterned paper onto the back, I glued a few of the glitter pieces to the paper so when all the rest of the glitter falls to the bottom, some of it stays in the middle of the shape. That probably made no sense.

Because I had to trim the white panel, and then trim it again, and again, to get the star centered, I could easily add a color layer before I stuck it all to the white base.

Here's an attempt to show you the glitter all spread out:


The sentiment was stamped on a 1/2" banner using Soft Pool ink.

Once I was done, I realized I'd used a traditionally masculine shape (the star) with more feminine paper and sparkly glitter. I guess that's okay. But I needed -- NEEDED -- to use something besides a heart or a circle, and this let me use a not-yet-opened die set. /whine

I have a few more challenges I'm anxious to play. I hope to be back soon!

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: acetate sheet, and the following:




9 comments:

  1. Great card! Love the shaker box! I need to try one. I see them all the time and am envious! Great colours. Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shake it, baby, shake it! I like how this came out. Chicks can like stars too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent shaker card Leslie. I think the fun foam make a difference in the ease of putting one together. I just got some and will be jumping on the bandwagon soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun card - love the shaker! Perfect for a birthday! Thanks for joining us at FMS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty card, Leslie. I love the colours you've used and the sweet shaker star Kx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great take on both the sketch and the colors...your star shaker is absolutely adorable!!! Thanks for joining us for the Color Throwdown Challenge!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome design... I LOVE shaker cards! Thanks for joining us for the Color Throwdown.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)