Saturday, January 17, 2015

Thanks, Teacher

When I decide to add a challenge to my Maybe Do This One list, I rarely look at the DT inspiration samples until after I've made my card. I like to see what I can do without being influenced by what others have done. That way I know my idea is my own.

So today I made the mistake of looking at my stampy blogs list in addition to my challenge blogs list, and I spied a card made for the current Addicted to CAS challenge:


The blog owner in question had used the same stamp set I had planned to use, so naturally I had to ditch my idea (though it must have been a decent idea if someone else made the same card I was going to make, right?) and look for an alternative. I ended up with my Paper Smooches Smarty Pants set that I'm pretty sure has never seen ink. That means it also qualifies for the current CASology Challenge:



Oh, did you want to see my card? Ha, here it is:


I stamped the stack of books, then lined up the globe and stamped it on top of the books. I colored the images, stamped the sentiment, then layered the whole thing onto a blue card base.

I might be inordinately proud that I broke with the common Copic coloring style of putting the dark color towards the edges. I did that for the green (land) parts of the globe, but you'll notice the blue (water) parts of the globe are darker in the centers. That's because in a large body of water, the darker parts are deeper, and I'm pretty sure the shores are shallower than the middles.

I used the colors of the current Just Us Girls challenge:


Okay, I added a red book, but it's an orange-y red, so I'm going for it anyway.

And yes, there is a LOT of white space on this card. I'm a little itchy, but it's less severe of an affliction than it used to be.

I'm off to link up, and I'll be back shortly with another challenge card.

Thanks for stopping by!

ETA: I bent to peer pressure and also linked to Darnell's NBUS Challenge:






18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are overcoming your white space affliction, if slowly. This is all kinds of awesome! Love the CAS-iness to it, you make it so easy. (I'm not good at CAS - I love layers too much) Thanks for getting all itchy for the Just Us Girls challenge! You are a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is CAS perfection - glad your CAS affliction isn't too severe!!! Thanks for joining us at ATCAS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute CAS card, and great use of the challenge colors! Thanks for joining us this week at Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great CAS card! Any teacher would feel honoured to receive a beautiful card like this!
    Hugs
    MaryV

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one cute stamp set. Nice CAS simple card which any teacher would love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome example of clean and simple. Great inspiration, and really cute image. Thanks for playing along with us this week at Just Us Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! And look at you with your deep water expertise. All I know about water I learned from my cat: it's wet and you don't want it on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stamps for the World challenge - love your colorful card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Resist the itch, Leslie! You do such a great job at CAS...keep it up! I love this fun teacher card...you kept so much lovely white space, too! You should link it up to Darnell's NBUS challenge, too...there are prizes up for grabs! Thanks for joining us at CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job coming to a detour and deftly coming up with another awesome design idea for the WORLD challenge, Leslie! And yes, if you see that someone else did something you thought of before you had a chance to execute it, that does prove it was a good idea! You can nevertheless cuss about it, while basking in the proof.

    And speaking of "thanks teacher," [wait, what] thank you for the coloring tips and about how using common sense trumps all. That ocean thinking made perfect sense to me! Plus, I love that you added the shadow from the books!

    Thank you for also linking this delightful CAS card (kudos on the CAS BTW!!) to the CASology NBUS challenge! Here again, if you like, you can link up with my NBUS Challenge itself!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand the itch...but wow this is a great CAS card. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A brilliant CAS teacher card and I love the deep water in the middle of the oceans! ;) Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A sweet CAS card....great job...thanks for joining us at ATCAS this week...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great teacher thank you. Love that you made the oceans darker in the deeper parts the way it should be. Thanks for playing with us at JUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great! Love the simplicity, perfect! Thanks for playing along with Just Us Girls this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute card! Fun use of the colors - Thanks for joining in at JUGS and ATCAS!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)