Tuesday, January 20, 2015

SOS #185: Not Your Normal Paper

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week's title is Not Your Normal Paper. We'd like you to use a specialty paper you had to have: glitter paper, foil paper, honeycomb paper, corrugated paper, canvas, cork, etc.

We've done this challenge in the past, but based on our current levels of stashiness, it's time to revisit it. Just sayin'.

Here's my card, then I'll explain:



Oh, my, but there is all sorts of stashy goodness here. The star of the show is that butterfly. I die-cut it about five times, but ended up only using the one you see here. My paper of choice is a piece of Elizabeth Craft Designs Shimmer Sheetz in green. I've had this for quite a while, because SHINY! But I've not used it until now.

I did have a small problem, though. I wanted to cut two different butterflies from the sheet -- one solid and one detailed. No matter what I tried though, I couldn't get a clean cut through the sheet. I used the metal shim in my Big Shot, as well as adding a layer of card stock, and the thing still wouldn't cut clean through. I actually had a better cut with the detailed die than I did with the solid one. The outline of the detailed die cut through, but the innards pieces wouldn't pop out. Weird.

I finally decided to give up and accepted the more detailed die with the innards intact. To make sure they stayed that way, I cut a solid butterfly from card stock and glued that to the back of the detailed die to hold everything in place.

Wanna see some shiny?

Put on your sun glasses!!

Here you go:


Do you see why I NEEDED this paper?

To finish my card, I used a piece of white card stock from my WTH pile on my desk. I had colored the top and bottom of it with SSS Coral Reef ink, and I thought there was enough shimmer in this butterfly to work with the orange, so it got used.  To tie things together, I pulled out a roll of washi tape with orange, blue and green. Well, in real life that yellow looks green, so I'm going with it.

The sentiment is from an old old old MFT set called Twisted Foursome. I might have all of these twisted sets. I suppose you could read this any way you'd like ... it could be a very serious "be happy all the time" card, or "let's get drunk". I suspect it was meant to be more of the latter.

So why not dig out one of your special papers and use it?! I think you should play along with us at SOS this week!

Oh, I'm also entering this in the still-current Just Us Girls color challenge:


Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: Elizabeth Craft Designs green Shimmer Sheetz, MFT Twisted Foursome stamp set, Bazzill scrap (on the back of the butterfly), MME washi tape, SU Basic Black card stock, and the following:





10 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh super shiny butterfly!! So pretty!!! And I am lovin' that washi tape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I see why you needed that paper! LOOK AT THE SHINY!!! Love your card, and that butterfly - Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy wow, do you mean there is a type of SHINY i don't have??!?! didn't see THAT comin'! love the cuuuute butterfly... it actually looks VERY cool with the "bits" still attached... like cloissonne, kinda. (but yeah there's nothing more frustrating than a die that just doesn't want to work right in a particular machine. ah well.) love this!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leslie! I love that shiny butterfly. Die cutting is certainly a challenge with those detailed dies! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shiny! Shiny! Very cool looking. Such a shiny shimmery sheet (say that three times fast) would definitely stymie me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shiny butter fly, hmm I have 4 packages of those sheetz, was thinking of trying to cut a butterfly so so glad I aborted that idea. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now. Anyway beautiful card for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes a beautiful butterfly! Fantastic CAS design making great use of washi tape!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)