Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Joyful Christmas

During my recent crafty play date, I managed to make two Christmas cards. This one is for two challenges. The sketch is from Sweet Sunday Sketch:


and I'm also entering this in the current Jingle Belles Rock challenge to use something new.  Here's my card, then I'll explain:


I momentarily broke out of my teal + red + yellow rut and chose this pretty piece of paper from my pal Tina's stash. I love it when the paper does all the work for you! I cut the banner from a piece of distressed red from the same paper pack, and also die-cut a circle from another piece.

For my "new" element, I used my OMG I NEED TO OWN THAT Hero Arts Birds & Branch Christmas stamp set. I wanted to emboss the sentiment, but Tina doesn't have any pigment inks ... I might have bought them all from her last year. But never fear!!! We have skills!! I luckily remembered you can make any dye ink embossable by first inking your stamp with Versamark, then immediately (no stamping yet) inking it in the dye ink, THEN stamping it. This puts the dye ink on the paper with the Versamark on top. You add clear embossing powder and emboss away.

Here's the glaring photo that shows it works:


I added an enamel dot to the center of the die-cut circle, and my card was complete.

I'm off to link up, then I'll share my other Christmas card that may or may not be teal + red (no yellow).

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: Doodlebug enamel dots Fall Assortment, Neenah Classic Linen card stock (Ivory), and the following:




4 comments:

  1. The cheater way to get any color "pigment" you want. Never do it with a group though. someone will mess up and put the dirty stamp in the Versamark. Great card! It really is all the design on the paper isn't it? Never fear, your secret is safe with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever! I really like how you positioned the flourishes through the center of your card and the embossed sentiment is fantastic! Thank you so much for joining us at SSSC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when paper becomes an easy focal element too ... and the Versamark trick works every time ... so glad you helped us bring in the new at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg you are just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay TOO CLEVER!!! MAKING your own pigment ink!!! holy wow, that is above & beyond the call of stampin' duty missus! (plus did i mention it's an AWESOME card as well!) thanks for rockin' the new goodies with us at JINGLE BELLES! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)