Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Watercolor Birthday

[If you are looking for my SOS post, please scroll down, or click here.]

I'm still in challenge mode, so last weekend when I saw The Paper Players challenge:



to make the sentiment be the focus of the card, and the Happy Little Stampers challenge:


to use water coloring, I made this:


I fell back on a technique I've used before, where you color your stamp with distress inks, mist it, and stamp it on water color paper. It's messy and you lose a lot of the detail, but that's okay! Why? Because you dry the water color part, then stamp the sentiment again with a water-proof black ink. I used Archival.

I like that the runny colors peek out from behind the crisp black sentiment.  Mine is only crisp and black because I stamped it several times. Several times on OMG NOT AGAIN pieces of water color paper, before I got a clue and pulled out my MISTI.

I placed the sentiment where I wanted it, inked it up with three colors of mini Distress inks, misted it a lot, then stamped it onto a piece of water color paper. It was quite runny, so I used the corner of a paper towel to soak up some of the larger puddles as I dried it.

Then, I cleaned up my stamp and inked it very well with Archival black ink and stamped it over the dried water color area. It didn't make a clean impression, so I just inked it up again and stamped it again, and again, until it was nice and black.

I trimmed down the water color paper and put it onto a Hero Arts black card base. A few sequins to fill in the white space, and maybe to cover a stray drop or two of water color, and it was finished.

That's one more for my stash of Birthday cards. I'm only belated on one of them so far. ;/

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: Neat & Tangled sequins, and the following:



10 comments:

  1. Well that misti certainly came in handy. Love the card, and it is a perfectly crisp sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great technique - it looks so effective with this beautiful, big sentiment. Thanks so much for joining us at The Paper Players.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how that technique comes out. I wondered how you got your water color splotches so nicely around the greeting like they belonged there! And yeah for MISTI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this technique Leslie. Have not tried that yet, but now I will!! Thanks for the tips! This looks amazing with the watercolour in-behind your large sentiment. The sequins are the perfect finishing touch. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Happy Little Stampers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, the subtle colours paired with the crisp black sentiment is an amazing effect and looks fantastic! Great card! Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! The whole card just makes me happy! Those sequins set it over the top too! Thanks so much for participating in my Paper Players challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK... so.. I came to comment on your card and got totally immersed in the story of Bobra.... what a gorgeous boy he is and bless you for taking him. I know he brings you lots of love and joy!

    Now.. where was I? Oh, yes! Your fabulous card. The sentiment certainly is the star of this card and the sequins are just the perfect finishing touch. Gorgeous card. So glad you joined us at the Paper Players this week
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun card and interesting technique; I've never tried it, but I will - I love the effect! The addition of the sprinkling of sequins is the perfect finishing touch. Thanks for playing along with our CAS sentiment challenge over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome! I love the look, so fun! Thanks for playing along at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A clever technique I've never seen before, but will definitely give it a try sometime! Great card! Hazel x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)