Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Real Deal

For my next challenge combination, I used the sketch from the current Feeling Sketchy challenge:


and colors from the current Cards In Envy challenge to use mostly Gray.

This is what I made:


Some of you may recall I have an aversion to black + white + red, and I prefer to go with a color other than red. Well, I tried. I originally had the layers as a teal color, and while I liked it, the teal really drew you away from the fact that this was supposed to be a gray card. It was more than just a touch of color.

So I went with dark gray for the mats, and I pulled out my Simon Says Stamp Quite The Pear stamp set because I thought the four aces image would work well with the gray, and I'd get a spot of red. Sigh, yes, red.

I tried a few different ways to color the four aces so they all had black outlines, but the aces of hearts and diamonds were both red. I ended up stamping the whole thing in black, then used a red marker to color the aces of hearts and diamonds, and fussy-cut them inside the lines so I could paper piece them over the full image. I sure hope that made sense.

Many thanks to my pal Tina for sharing her crafty space, her stash of pretty paper (including her pack of all grey and black paper), and also for talking me out of the teal layers. She is wise.

Thanks for stopping by!

ETA: (squee) This card was chosen as a favorite at Cards In Envy:



Stuff I used: Recollections Black Jack 6x6 paper pack, twine, and the following:




13 comments:

  1. Wow! What a stunning card. Well done, my creative friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It so works, love all those shades of gray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the layers and the rounded corners and the aces! Thanks for sharing with us at Cards in Envy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the layers and very attractive card. thanks playing long at SF

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the layout and use of four aces! Thank you for joining us at Cards in Envy! ~ Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talked Out of Teal: True Confessions of a Stamper.
    I love it! And I think that because you used so much grey it doesn't have that black, white, and red feel that makes you twitchy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out wonderfully, Leslie! I love the clean layers with the rounded corners. The light pattern and the dark pattern balance each other nicely while sticking with the Going Gray color challenge. Thanks so much for joining us at Cards in Envy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. So elegant and the little hit of red looks lovely. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Feeling Sketchy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a clean and simple card and yours is just that- great use of patterned paper and the red gives just enough "pop"! Thanks for playing along at Feeling Sketchy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great card. Thank you for joining the challenge at Feeling Sketchy. Hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card, I love the simplicity of the card and the sentiment just says it all. Thanks for joining ~ Michelle FS DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. fun card and great sentiment!!! Thank you for joining us at Cards in Envy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Leslie! This card is adorable, and I was so happy it was chosen. Love those playing cards -- and am even more impressed that your card was inspired by that fun sketch. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)