Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Jingle Belles Rock #33 - Bling On The Holidays

Tonight was a sad night in the Crooked household. Tonight, a dear family member has passed on. Although it was an inanimate object, it had a lot of moving parts, but a few of them move no more. I'm speaking of my dear, departed Big Shot. The darn thing had the nerve - THE NERVE - to seize up on me at the very moment I was cutting a most-critical part for this week's Jingle Belles Rock card. Hmph.

Once I knew a replacement Big Shot was on its way (they have a 3-year warranty) I got permission to try and remove my still-stuck die with whatever force was necessary, then I went to work. I started with the most obvious screws, then the next set, then the next... until I finally had the whole thing in pieces on my craft room floor. It blocks one of my major paths. Here she is:

That part in the lower left? That's the iron grip of the jammed rollers holding my all-purpose platform and cutting plates hostage. They are locked in there gooood. I have a week to re-assemble her. Wish me luck.

Please note: Do not try this at home. If I had taken off the handle first, I would have realized there was no hope, and I would have saved all that time removing the rest of the screws. My bad.

So anyway, what was I cutting? I was using this die from Memory Box:

I cut it last night (JUST FINE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH) out of some of the new SU Silver Glimmer paper (available Sept 1st). A sheet of this stuff is blinding, but the tree came out so one doesn't need sun glasses to view the final product. But it disappeared into my chosen background paper, so I was cutting it again out of a piece of card stock vellum when disaster struck. :(

I did (obviously) manage to rescue the die and the piece of vellum (I have my priorities), but at that point I was faced with the task of finishing my card without the use of a die-cut machine. {horrors} I might have to punch or tear or ... it was too much for me to accept. Just too much. I was still reeling from my loss. It's been a rough night, people.

So, do you wanna see my card? Lookie:

Here's a close-up of the tree:

You can see the shimmer, though it is not even close to being captured here. I added red Distress Stickles at the last minute. You can also see the vellum behind the tree - it's just enough without being really obvious. (Thanks to Lisa for her suggestion!)

Here's the other side of the card:

The ribbon ... do you know that 99.5% of all Christmas ribbon uses gold accents, not silver? I rummaged through my box of "you don't belong in the other color boxes" of ribbon and finally found this shimmery one. I like it!

You can also see the stars I was reduced to punching since the snowflake punch was too detailed to cut through the glimmer paper. And I opened and used my Robin's Nest bottle of Christmas tear drops.

Here she is again:

Check out that swirl on the top right. It's one of the punch-outs form the tree. :)

So that's it. I survived my craftastrophe, though I have a week to go before my new Big Shot arrives. What will I do?!?!? It could be an interesting week.

I'm going to post this over at the Jingle Belles blog. Why not get your bling on and join us? :)

Thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

  1. Oh, the HORROR & devastation... can't look!!



    That card is stunning (I looked!)! I MUST have that die!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Leslie this card turned out just so gorgeous. The vellum with that paper and that die? Just an amazing combination. I'm so sad that your Big Shot died, but thrilled that this was your final project (with that Bog Shot) and your were able to rescue your die & paper.

    As Tara said, "STUNNING!". ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. RIP Big Shot... thank DOG you chose to die after Leslie's stampy weekend, not before..

    that die is lovely though. as is your card (as always). it looks like you heat embossed the swirlies on the vellum...

    ReplyDelete
  4. First that card is GORGEOUS! I love it. Secondly.. what a horrific moment (s) that must have been.... RIP Big Shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope that new Big Shot arrives soon before you go into complete withdrawal ... love that awesome swirly glittery tree ... and aren't you clever you use parts of the cut-out for an added embellishment ... so glad you survived the crafty tool catastrophe and joined our jingle belles fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that tree is gorgeous - totally beautiful. what a lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is difficult to hold back the tears. I am so sorry for your loss! At least the last thing she ever did was to help you make this bling-alicious beautiful card. Whatever will you do while you wait? Do you have a Cuttlebug machine? Oh, the humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say, you are the first person that I have heard of being charged with murder of your big shot! yikes...that is disasterous! The card is gorgeous and that tree die is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For a woman in mourning you did a wonderful job with the card :) Its gorgeous, and I just love that tree!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a moment of silence of the big shot... RIP, big guy, you'll never be forgotten... especially not after the "CRAFTASTROPHE" story!!! :)

    sorry for your loss, but geez, you are more intrepid than me in taking that thing apart! i am in awe of your "fix it" aplomb.

    but ♥♥♥HOLY FLIPPIN WOW♥♥♥ that is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch an amazing card!!! seriously, i think i stared at it for about 5 minutes before i even read the story!!! for ANY prompt, at ANY time, under ANY circumstances, this thing would (as a famous crafter once said) "KNOCK MY SOCKS OFF" ...if i were not wearing socks, i'd put them on, just for this! BRAVO, missus! BRAVO!!!!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps: is this sort of sudden death amongst cutting machines why they call them *DIES* i wonder??!?! :0

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, this was (sort of) a funny post...gave me a giggle anyway! I hope you get your replacement BS soon! I wonder how the withdrawal post would read...? Pretty card too, BTW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. you poor thing!!
    well all your hard work sure payed off as this is STUNNING!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry for your loss! Still the replacement will arrive soon :) Your story made me laugh - but it was so worth saving the die and Christmas tree. Your card is just stunning! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes, I have that die and now I'm going to be extra careful! Though it really looks stunning with that glitter paper. I know what you mean about almost all ribbon having gold accents. I love silver and find it very hard to come by. Your card is absolutely wonderful. Thank you for sharing your dilemma - a good lesson for all of us.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)